Tenerife, October 2016. What an awesome trip!
Wohoo! Wait! The actual trip which this blog will talk about has not started yet, … has it? Oh no, what happened? I’m not sure, what is going on, what do I want, what do I not want. Confusion. Rock music. …Breathe, breathe again, calm down. Searching… Finding myself. …Well, let me structure it and put it that way: Beginning of 2016 things were changing. Afterwards the decision to do something new has been made. Surprisingly clear. Yeah, again, something crazy but innovative should pass my way. Today I feel, that back then the trip had already started. The journey is going on. My life and my character has changed since then. It is developing every day. In a good direction friends say. It’s kind of a period of exploration and discovery. In April 2016, reading one of the big business magazines, this cite passed my way:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ”
What is it you really wanted to do since many years, but so many things kept you from doing it?
By then, my decision was made. I will leave Europe. At least for a while. I will sell all my belongings, some of them for good purpose. I will experience dematerialization. Further, I will regain control over myself and who I am. The first phase during summer 2016 included to make some dreams come true as well as to socialize with friends as much as possible.
Five dreams that deserve to be mentioned here:
(1) The first dream I turned into reality was to be capable of true windsurfing and to manage 7 bft on a windsurf board. I trained hard, build up muscles, hurt myself several times smashing into water and stood up each time. Over and over. #axelgoeswild during 14 weekend visits in Torbole, Lago di Garda, Italy. Thanks so much to all the people I met at this great spot and who helped me to achieve this goal! You are awesome!
(2) Just do it! Make use of your body and mental skills to achieve physical things that you will never forget. The second dream that came true was to beat the alps by bike on a four day transalpine tour. Cycling 504 km on a 15 years old pushbike while burning 24.500 kcal. #axelgoeswild from Augsburg, Germany, to Torbole, Italy.
(3) Feel like going on water. I had the chance to learn wake boarding as well as kite surfing and how to manage to kite upwind at 34 knots wind speed. #axelgoeswild in Soma Bay, Egypt aka Mr. Protection 🙂 Thanks so much to the people who spent time with me on water giving all these very helpful practical tips to learn fast!
(4) I dreamed of finding the balance between being successful in business but also finding the time to enjoy myself. From the success point, this is where Tenerife comes in. The Tenerife trip with colleagues from work and my sister was the last trip given by my employer as an incentive for outstanding sales results. By far, it was the most mind blowing incentive trip ever. The memories and learnings from this trip can’t ever be taken. Nor can the memories of five intense and great working years in tech. However, it became clear to me: Working hard, one needs to stop and relax more often to recover and gain new creativity. A great opportunity to recover was driven by Daniel, one of my best friends from university in Germany. It made us discover how it feels like to just lean back and let the wind move you into freedom: sailing on yacht Passione in Croatia. The wild stories while sailing won’t be told here 😉 #axelgoeswild
(5) Maximize socializing and traveling was quite a feasible dream. There are a number trips to mention with awesome company. Tobogganing in Neukirchen am Großvenediger in Austria with friends I got to know from work. Skiing with my best friend from kindergarden in Imst, Austria. Hiking with one of the most balanced person I know in Reit im Winkel, Austria. Relaxing sibling time in Mittersill, Austria (Austria again, yes, it is beautiful :)). Oh yeah, reunion at its best: what an awesome party and networking weekend with old friends from the student consultancy academica e.V. in Stuttgart, Germany. Also, we kept the tradition with best friends from university: “G-Unit” casino weekend trip number 6 to Salzburg, Austria. Later, since some friend married, we did the stag party in Prague, Czech Republic. Little more later, some other friend turned 30 and we partied crazily in a hut in the mountains in Oberstaufen, Germany. We got addicted to speed: what an acceleration these Formula 1 cars put on tarmac in Hockenheim, Germany. Some things need planning, most things in privat life not: we were spontaneously enjoying life during a weekend trip to Amsterdam, Netherlands. I met people I will never forget.
Why do I tell you about these things? First, simply because I feel that one should get up from their sofa and go out to explore the world. As often as you can. It will make your mind grow. Secondly, I want to say a big thank you to each and every friend and individual who made my time in 2016 so enjoyable! This was our time. This also includes a big thank you to every person that I had the opportunity to talk to at evening dinners, spontaneous office talks and telephone calls about all the world and his wife. Having all these great conversations I received the gift to learn so many things from you. Thank you!
There is one thing I’d like to clarify since you might ask, what’s actually that silly hashtag for? #axelgoeswild … Well, we are generation Y. This is just how we do it. The hashtag was made up by Daniel from Germany, whom I admire for his continuous power to motivate and inspire people. He motivated me using that hashtag. This hashtag somehow marks the bottom line of everything in recent months. It marks craziness and innovation. I’m convinced, one needs to think wild to discover new ideas. Moreover #axelgoeswild pretty much fits into the model of the archaic cross which another friend has introduced me to recently (taken from: “Die Kunst dein Ding zu machen”, Christian Bischoff). The model basically is designed as follows: the level of wisdom and experience over time is measured vertically. In order for a person to become a wise and experienced person he/she needs to go through different periods in life. Hereby, horizontally, on the left side of the cross he/she should live in periods marked with stability, reliability and consistency. Whereas on the right side of the cross he/she needs to experience instability, variability and inconsistency…. and being “wild”! …So, it’s time for the right side now, time to go wild and crazy! It’s time to quit my flat rental contract, quit my job in tech and hoist the sails. Only the wind knows where it will take me. Let’s listen to some rock music!
I’m writing this blog to inspire people following their dreams. Making their dreams come true. Working on their happiness and the happiness of their loved ones. It is up to each of us to achieve as much happiness for yourself and for the people around you. Act upon it. It is your duty to make the time given to you, your friends and family as enjoyable as you can! Always be positive and spread a good mood. Follow this attitude and you will commonly attract as well as create friendships, love and success to an extend you could barely think of today.
I would be more than happy if you could derive value for yourself from the experiences and learnings shared on this blog.
“We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.”
Finally, let me inspire you with three cites, as I think some guys framed it way better than I ever could:
“Jobs fill your pockets, adventures fill your soul.” (Jaime Lyn Beatty)
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” (Andre Gide)
“A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.” (George Moore)
Impressions from Tenerife.
Ritz Carlton, Abama, Tenerife…
#axelgoeswild – we go wild at Volcano Teide!…
Some days end, new will come…
This post may introduce to the things that will come up. Let’s explore it, lets kick off the second phase… great to have you on board!
Read next: From Dubai to the world: Join the journey!…